Many variations of colors and scents can be used in bath bombs. This time, I used cinnamon as the main colorant and scent and made a cinnamon bath bomb.
If you like the smell of cinnamon, you will love this bath bomb. It will smell like you are taking a bath in a pastry shop.
It’s a really special experience, taking a fizzy bath while wonderful scents are being released out of the bath bomb. A perfect way to relax after a busy day.
The cinnamon essential oil used in this recipe has many beneficial properties. It is antibacterial, immunostimulant, a detoxifying agent, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, among many other health benefits.
Most recipes include cornstarch but I don’t usually add it to my bath bomb. It glues to the bath tub and it is hard to clean so I avoid it. But if you want to use it just add the same amount as the citric acid.
You might want to use gloves for mixing the ingredients because citric acid is a skin irritant so it can irritate your skin. I usually don’t wear them (but I wouldn’t advise that) but I wash my hands right after I’m finished with mixing, and I use a spoon most of the time.
Bath bombs are great, but if you want to use it often, they are quite expensive. I repeatedly get surprised when I see the prices of bath bombs. And it can be made at home for 90% lower costs!
This recipe will make about 5-8 cinnamon bath bombs, depending on the size of the mold you use.
DIY Cinnamon Bath Bomb Recipe:
- 1 cup soda bicarbonate
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- alcohol in a spray
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder
- 20 drops of cinnamon essential oil (leaf or bark)
- optional: a few dry flower petals
- Grind citric acid with mortar and pestle. If you don’t have it, you can grind it by pressing the spoon against it.
- Mix soda bicarbonate and citric acid in a bowl.
- Spray alcohol on it 2 or 3 times. The mixture should hold its shape when you squeeze it in your hand. If it doesn’t, spray a little bit more.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder. You can add more if you want more color.
- Add cinnamon essential oil.
- Fill the mold with the mixture. You can use silicone or plastic mold. I used this super cute silicon mold with different shapes.
- After about 30 minutes, you can release the bath bombs from the mold.
Shelf life – best to use within a month or else their fizz will not be so effective anymore.
Bath Salts Made Out of the Bath Bomb Ingredients
If for some reason your bath bomb doesn’t turn out well, you can use the mixture to make the bath salts.
All you have to do is spread the bath bomb mixture on the napkin in a thin layer and let it dry for about 2 hours. The napkin will soak all liquid.
You will know when the bath salt is finished because it will be completely dry when you touch it and it will be crumbly.