Frizzy hair can make you feel anxious, especially if you are planning for a big day. Those tangles of stubborn hair simply refuse to stay in place. This can make hairstyling quite difficult when you are on the go. Hair frizz can be quite annoying as we all know how important a good hairstyle is for a great look.
In this article, you will learn what causes hair frizz and how to get rid of frizzy hair with natural remedies. I have also included some useful tips that will help you reduce hair frizz.
So what are the causes of frizzy hair?
Many of us think that it is due to the natural texture of our hair. But this is not the real reason for frizz. When the cuticle layers of our hair raise, moisture easily passes through making the hair strands to swell. The result is dry, frizzy and unmanageable hair.
Chemical based hair products, curlers, blow dryers and certain medications can strip natural moisture content of your hair, leaving them dehydrated, dull and frizzy.
How to get rid of frizzy hair with natural remedies
Adopting simple hair care regimen can help you tackle hair frizz.
While spas and exclusive hair treatments promise to help minimize frizz, they can be quite expensive. You will be happy to know that you can remove hair frizz from home without investing in expensive hair therapies.
I am going to share some effective and natural remedies that will help you get rid of frizzy hair. You will be surprised to see how easy it is to manage frizzy hair using natural ingredients.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best and easiest ways to fix frizzy hair. The oil can easily penetrate hair shaft for deeper hydration. Being rich in fatty acids, it helps to fully nourish and moisturize hair right from the shaft. The best method is to warm coconut oil before using on scalp and hair.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil for a few minutes until it is warm enough to touch.
- Apply warm oil to your scalp and hair. Massage for around 10-20 minutes.
- Leave the oil on your hair overnight or at least for 30 minutes before shampooing.
- Repeat the process once or twice a week.
Useful tip: You can also include vitamin E oil to additionally hydrate the hair shaft. Mix 3 parts of coconut oil with one part vitamin E oil.
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that help to deeply nourish hair and restore its natural shine making your hair look softer and silkier. Since olive oil has small molecular structure, it can easily penetrate into hair strands.
- ¼ cup olive oil
Massage your scalp and hair with warm olive oil for around 15-20 minutes and leave it overnight. Wash your hair the next morning using a mild shampoo.
3. Avocado Oil
High in saturated fat and low molecular structure makes avocado oil great for moisturizing hair and removing frizz. Regular massage with avocado oil makes your hair softer and shinier.
- ¼ cup avocado oil
Use warm avocado oil to massage hair and scalp for 15 to 20 minutes and leave it overnight. Shampoo your hair the next morning.
4. Almond Oil Egg Protein Mask
Eggs are naturally rich in protein making them a great remedy for hair frizz while almond oil works as a natural hair conditioner.
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup almond oil
- Whisk oil and egg in a bowl to make a smooth mixture.
- Apply the mask on your scalp and hair.
- Leave the mask on your hair for 40 minutes before rinsing hair with water. Repeat the process once a week.
5. Avocado Yogurt Hair Mask
If you are looking for an inexpensive and easy method to get rid of hair frizz then avocado yogurt hair mask can work great. The presence of vitamin B and vitamin A in avocado helps to nourish hair whereas yogurt naturally cleans scalp and conditions hair.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- Mash ripe avocado and yogurt to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and hair and leave it for 40 minutes.
- Wash the hair with water and follow it up with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is known to balance pH level of hair. It also helps to retain your hair’s moisture by closing any open cuticles thus making your hair more manageable, silky and shiny.
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
Dilute apple cider vinegar with water and use it as the last rinse for your hair after shampooing.
7. Banana and Honey Hair Mask
Both bananas and honey are known to deeply condition hair and minimize frizz.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Mash banana, add honey and oil and combine well.
- Apply the mask on hair and let it sit for 45 minutes.
- Rinse hair with water before shampooing. Follow the process once a week.
8. Aloe Vera Gel Hydrating Hair Mask
Aloe vera gel is known to work as a great moisturizer for hair and skin. If you have aloe vera plant in your home garden, simply break an aloe stem to extract fresh aloe vera gel and apply directly on your hair and scalp. Read how to make aloe vera gel from the plant. Aloe vera gel, when combined with the carrier oil, can make a great hydrating hair mask.
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- ¼ cup carrier oil such as olive oil, coconut oil, peanut oil, jojoba oil or almond oil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- In a clean bowl, combine aloe vera gel with the carrier oil of your choice.
- Apply the mask on your scalp and hair.
- Leave the mixture for at least 30 minutes. Rinse with water, shampoo and condition your hair.
Six useful tips for getting rid of frizzy hair
All it requires is including a few hair care routines and little care that can help prevent hair damage. Here are some useful tips that will help you reduce hair frizz and make your hair more manageable.
- Drink plenty of water and follow a balanced diet.
- Make sure to have a hot oil hair massage at least once a week.
- Avoid harsh chemical products such as SLS on your hair. Switch to a mild herbal shampoo.
- Allow your hair to dry naturally and use microfiber towels. In case you need to blow dry your hair, make sure to avoid high heat.
- Get your hair trimmed as often as you can to remove split ends.
- Use cotton pillow covers to prevent your hair cuticles from any damage.
And one final thing…Just as we change our skincare and makeup products according to the weather, it is also important to choose the right hair product that goes well with the season. For example, hair frizz can be worst during winter as your hair tends to get very dry and brittle. Therefore, selecting a deep moisturizing shampoo helps to retain hair moisture and minimize frizz.